Creamy Stovetop Mac 'N' Cheese

>> Tuesday, April 8, 2008

From America's Test Kitchen. This is easy, SO much better than a box, and doesn't dirty too many dishes, which I love.

8 ounces macaroni (2 cups)
Salt
2 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk*
1 teaspoon dry mustard, dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
Pepper
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups; you can substitute Monterey Jack or Colby cheese)


1. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for the macaroni. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the macaroni and cook until almost tender, but still a little firm to the bite.

2. Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, the mustard mixture, Tabasco, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

3. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in the butter until melted.

4. Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheddar. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar, until the mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4 (with no leftovers)


*I think 2% has the best flavor, while still saving you some calories, though you could use skim if you like.

2 comments:

Nick and Amera April 10, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

Nann, I hope you get this message! I have been trying to get into your blog for so long, but it wont let me in :( maybe you can fix that so we can still be bloggin friends! Thankyou for the comment on my blog, its very motivating for me! I always appreciate your advise and love !!! thankyou!!

Nann April 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

Amera,
I left a message on your blog but looks like you never got it. I need your e-mail address to give you access. E-mail me at ndalton@networld.com Sorry..

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP